Haberdashers’ Academies Trust is a closely integrated Multi-Academy Trust (MAT) consisting of nine schools which share a common approach and work closely to achieve that.
There is a close relationship between the different parts of governance in the Trust but each has distinct responsibilities. Each of our nine schools has a Local Governing Body which is responsible for overseeing the school and supporting school leaders. It focuses on making sure that all children get an excellent education; ensuring the school is following the Trust’s vision and strategy; and agreeing policies and checking compliance with them, with a focus on safeguarding, special educational needs and the most disadvantaged children.
The Trust Board is the non-executive body accountable for all aspects of the conduct and performance of the schools across the Trust. It is responsible for the strategic priorities of the organisation, its growth plans, major capital investments, for approving the budget and managing the finances across the organisation. It exercises its responsibilities by employing a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is directly accountable to the Trust Board and the Department for Education for standards across the Trust and as such Principals report directly to the CEO. The Trust Board retains close oversight of different aspects of the work of the organisation by appointing a range of committees to take responsibility for specific areas of its work. These committees are the Finance Committee, Audit & Risk Committee, the People Committee and the Standards Committee. These are described in more detail on the Committees of the Board page.
The key Executive roles in our Trust are the CEO, the Principals of the nine schools and other Directors in the central team. The organisation is structured to support collaborative activity to develop and implement highly effective shared practice across all aspects of the work of the schools in the Trust. The Principal of each of the school is responsible and accountable for the management of his or her school. The Principals work together with each other and with the CEO and directors in the central team to develop the Trust’s agreed policies and procedures, which they are then responsible for implementing in their schools. Each Principal is supported by a school Leadership Team.
Composition of Governance
- Members - The Members have the authority to nominate and appoint Directors (Trustees) to the Trust Board and are appointed by the Haberdashers Company. There are 5 members – The Haberdashers Company itself, two appointed by the Company and two Trustees who sit on the Trust Board. Further detail on the remit of Members can be found in the Trust Articles of Association.
- Nominated Directors - Nominated Directors or Trustees are nominated and appointed by the Members and sit on the Trust Board.
- Temple Grove Schools Trust Directors - Two of the Directors on the Trust Board have been nominated by the Temple Grove Schools Trust, one of the Federation's sponsors.
- Co-opted Directors - Directors or Trustees of the Trust Board who have been appointed by the Nominated Directors. The CEO of the Trust is a Director ex-officio.
- Independent - Governors appointed to sit on the Finance Committee and the Audit and Risk Committee who have no other role in the Trust’s governance.
- Local Board governors - The chair of each Local Board is appointed by the Trust Board and the remaining members include directors of the Trust, two elected parents and other governors co-opted by the Trust Board
Our governors are recruited, nominated or elected based on the skills that they will bring to the governing body. On appointment, governors receive extensive information relating to the organisation and its schools and are invited to attend and induction day as well as training sessions throughout the year. Governors also have access to online training and to attend sessions run by the Haberdashers' Company.
For further information on governance within the Trust please click the below links:
- The Articles and Funding page
- Governor Meetings and Training Attendance Tracker 2020 2021
- HAFT governance leadership SOD v13 1 APPROVED
- Terms of Reference for Governors APPROVED 2021 07